Walking In Wuhan

China down. California to go.

3/11/09

Champions

Back in the day I used to entertain thoughts of being a pro golfer. When most kids grew up wanting to be Michael Jordan, I grew up wanting to be Fred Couples -- this was B.T. (Before Tiger). Along the way, I kind of plateaued in my skill level and was left with hoping to advance in the local Publinks tournaments during the summers.

When I wrote a few stories down in Pebble last month, I got my brush with greatness. We were finishing up our stories when an official said, "hey, they left the trophy in the media room, you should go take a picture with it." Pretty soon a short line formed with media members and others taking their shot at accepting the trophy. I immediately wondered whether Augusta National leaves the green jacket just sitting around for people to try on.

Though in the picture, I'm presenting the -- very heavy -- trophy to Kevin, I like to think he's presenting it to me. And in case you're wondering, the top does come off in case a champion would be interested in drinking out of the thing. Also, no word on where they stashed the winner's giant novelty check.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed both of your stories at Pebble. It was pretty cool that you got to interview Tim Clark the week before he took down TW. Who would have thought...timing is everything.

kab