Walking In Wuhan

China down. California to go.

3/10/09

A new friend?

A few months ago, I managed to talk myself out of wanting a dog. They were too expensive, too much work and our apartment complex didn't have one. Now that we might be in a situation where we could have a dog in the future (crosses fingers), I started branching out on different breeds. I'd see photos of Newfoundlands or Newfie's on facebook. They're big dogs -- males can grow to as much as 140-160 pounds and have faces that remind me a bit of St. Bernard's. While they're known for drooling quite a bit, Newfoundlands are also insanely loyal and take well to most people right away. At a dinner this past weekend, a couple happened to show up with a Newfoundland that they'd adopted from a pound. I'm not sure what that couple made of me when I kept going back and asking if I could pet their dog. I mean, how could you not want one of these dogs? They're like small bears.


Though Courtney did very astutely note that the necessary tools for taking one on a walk would likely be a 32 gallon trash bag and giant shovel. Seriously though. I want one.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

As the owner of 2 newfs, I can tell you that the owners were probably thrilled that you recognized a superior and cuddly breed. Most newfies' humans love to show them off and revel in adulation.

Anonymous said...

$$$ "Feed me dad I'm starvin'!"

kab

wildnis said...

The dog image above is a copyright protected images and used without permission.
If you do that, you should at least give the photographer credit for and a link to his/her website.
The picture above is copyrighted by Rolf Hicker Photography.
Here you can find more of Rolf's dog pictures.

November Lily said...

when adam and i got our pitbull (considered a medium sized dog) she immediately found an article that said that raising a dog of that size to 11 years of age would cost roughly $12,000.

then she cut out a picture of the car i wanted.

November Lily said...

"she" being my mother haha