Walking In Wuhan

China down. California to go.

Through the wonders of NPR and the Internet, I stumbled upon this gem of knowledge: The Weather Channel is getting into the record business. You've probably been watching TWC at all hours of the day, looking for forecasts and severe weather updates and heard the smooth jazz that accompanies the local forecasts. Just in time for Christmas, TWC released "The Weather Channel Presents: The Best of Smooth Jazz"

It's kitschy, ridiculous -- and No.2 on Billboard's jazz chart. But upon completing more research, I happened upon these little nuggets of information:

  • TWC employs a full-time employee named Steve Hurst, whose job it is to find the right accompanyment for fog, snow and rain.
  • Hurst has an 'approach' to picking music depending on the time of day -- to get you all hot and botherd about upper level-high pressure systems. From an AP story: "During the day, his selections tend to be light and upbeat. In the evening they're slower and more sultry. Late at night they're even more mellow." and "It was fun to add songs that viewers wouldn't usually expect to hear," said Hurst, who chose the cuts for the jazz CD based on viewer response. "Phish fans were coming out of the woodwork the first time we played one of their songs."
  • Viewers get really angry when TWC uses music with vocals, lest Billie Holliday distract from the Doplar. "We tested some vocals, but the consumers didn't like it," says Shari Pace, vice president of licensing for the cable channel. "When I travel to a different city and have the Weather Channel on, the music is comforting to me. I like the calmness of it. When there are vocals with it, it changes."
  • Back when the station started 25 years ago, employees used to dip into their own music collections to put on the air.

I don't know why I'm still floored by the fact this exists and is selling so well. I know one thing though: Kenny G is gonna be pissed.

0 comments: