Walking In Wuhan

China down. California to go.

Last weekend I went down to Monterey to do some stringing at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro Am. My friend Kevin was nice enough to hook me up with some stories and let me crash at his place on Saturday night.

Courtney and I visited Pebble Beach last spring when the 'rents were out here, so I knew a little of what to expect. But Pebble on tournament day is a different story. It's like walking around on the field at Yankee Stadium during a game. We ventured out toward holes 6 and 7 and watched a few groups come through -- Peyton Manning, Carson Daly (who put two in the Ocean) Kelly Slater, Dan Marino, Lynn Swan, Lefty, Jason Gore, etc. I'd seen Mickelson play at Arizona State when he was in college, but it was still weird to be standing five feet from the guy as he hits a wedge to the par 3 No. 7.

As for the golf, Saturday was great but the wind and rain forced the postponement of Sunday's round, which sucked, but made for an early day. I learned a few interesting things this weekend:

1. China-bought Northface jackets do not stand up well in rain and 60 mph winds. When the stamp on the bootlegged jacket says water-proof, don't believe them.

2. Writing well on deadline is not at all like riding a bike. My stories were OK, but I was definitely rusty. Saturday and Sunday

3. In high school, Millard North's home golf course was the Knolls. Kevin, who grew up in Monterey, played Spyglass. A team in their district played at Pebble. Unbelievable.

4. I really miss playing golf more regularly -- I think I've played three times since returning from China.

5. The sound the ball makes when it comes off the clubface of a PGA Tour player's club is unlike anything you will ever hear on any other course in America.

1 comments:

Merf said...

I can't believe this post didn't get any comments, haha. And writing on deadline is like golf. If you do it every day, you can get better. But if you take a long time off, it's like starting all over again.