Walking In Wuhan

China down. California to go.

9/15/08

Getting old

I started taking a class at State two weeks ago dealing with Internet marketing. One perk of this job is that I've learned about html and the way people utilize Web 2.0. Through two weeks of class we've learned about the history of the Inernet and interesting, yet not totally useful facts about bandwidth and modem speed in South Korea. Looking around the room I felt old. It's a 300-level class, so most of the other students are 19 and 20 years old. During the review of Internet history the professor kept asking if we knew who was vice president in 1993 or 1996. I thought he was being a bit condescending, but then I started looking around. Most of the students were three or four years old in 1993. It occurred to me that in high school, juniors and seniors in high school know about the Gulf War (phase I) only through history books. The line in Garden State about the Gulf War trading cards had no personal relevance -- and yes, I owned Gulf War training cards. I've been feeling old lately quite a bit and at weird times. Did Mike Piazza really reitre from baseball last season? Is Magic Johnson really almost 50 years old? For some readers of this blog, sympathy will be hard to come by. Apparently, this feeling old thing isn't something that passes with time.

1 comments:

Chaviva Gordon-Bennett said...

I write "website" ... but you spell lots of words wrong :P