A week's already passed in the Olympics. I've been hooked more so than in the past, mainly because of Michael Phelps and the competitive gymnastics competitions. But I think one of the underreported stories from these games is Jim Lampley's Yeoman-like work hosting the Olympics. Yeah, Bob Coastas is the dwarfish pretty boy who never seems to age and interviewed Dubya and hung out with Michael Phelps. But because of the time difference, it's Lampley who packs his lunch pail, throws on his blazer and mic and -- because of the time difference between China and the U.S. -- works the hosting graveyard shift.
I like how he subtly works in the time in Beijing. A few minutes ago he started the segment with, "It's 3:30 a.m. here in Beijing..." I'm still waiting for him to start: "It's after midnight here in Beijing and that prissy Costas is getting his beauty sleep." Not to mention Lampley looks like he could start at linebacker in the NFL. So I guess this is my way of saying, "Well done Jim. We appreciate the effort."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment