Walking In Wuhan

China down. California to go.

Well, I didn't think it could happen, but something finally upstaged Bob Costas and his impeccably styled golden locks. If anything, I think the world learned the Chinese know how to throw one heck of a party. A 500-foot LED screen, giant globe, 2008 people in every kind of costume moving in sync. It was impressive.

I'm a big Olympics fan. I don't get all choked up or buy into the business of the world coming together -- that's just something manufactured by Coke, McDonalds, etc. -- but I love the events, the occasional show of nationalism, but most of all, I loves me some Olympic Parade of Nations.

I love the different costumes. (Worst Costume: Hungary -- they looked like they were wearing Communist era curtains.) I love how Gambia comes out with three athletes. I particularly love when the commentators have to come up with random, yet moderately interesting facts about Benin, Vanuatu (it inspired the musical South Pacific!) and Mali. With little notice, Costas went from providing commentary on the history of the Tang dynasty in China to narrating an athletic version of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

Either way, good show China. Good show.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Da Shan was in the Canadian delegation. I couldn't tell who got bigger cheers~Kobe Bryant or Hu Jintao.

November Lily said...

adam's hungarian.

please don't tell him you think his motherland's the worst dressed.

j/k!