I'd been looking at this book for awhile. I don't know why, but I'm interested in the way companies try to create a corporate culture. The author, Alex Frankel, goes undercover, taking jobs at UPS, Gap, Starbucks, Enterprise Rent-a-car, and The Apple Store. Frankel never tells his bosses that he's a journalist, and writes in vivid detail about his experiences at each stop.
At UPS he works during the holiday season as a helper on a truck, making deliveries. While you might think that driving a trick there amounts to brown-clad bondage, in fact, drivers can make upwards of $85,000 per year and they have an incredibly low rate of turnover.
At Enterprise, most of his service training was geared toward selling insurance -- the grand slam of which was "trips" or selling three kinds of coverage. It's amazing how so many companies have devised ways to get Point of Sale (POS) purchases. Enterprise has its insurance, Best Buy its warranties, Gap credit cards, B&N memberships.
I thought his view of Starbucks was interesting and a good counter to most of the fawning books written about the coffee chain. Many of his co-workers were just there for the insurance -- something that I'm sure happens across the country. He also gets frustrated with companies that go too far to create that culture, like Starbucks, which gives its employees coffee passports that serve as rewards for engaging customers in conversation or learning to make a new drink.
This book got me thinking about people I've known at jobs I've worked who are really passionate about retail. I don't know if it's something in my personality, but I could never get REALLY passionate about selling something like denim jeans or renting cars. Yeah, I work at B&N one day per week. I like books and I like telling people about books I read, but I wouldn't say I'm passionate about them. I don't feel a deeper calling to sell membership cards. If people want to save money, great, but I'm not going to guilt them into buying one or pressure them. The author marvels at those kinds of people -- who get passionate about adding on insurance at the car rental counter or finding that perfect pair of stonewashed, strategically torn jeans.
The author tried to get hired at several places like Home Depot, which relies exclusively on online tests to sift through applicants. Companies like Home Depot use software that weeds out liars. It's actually better to be honest on questions like, "Do you ever get angry?" because the computer scores more favorably for the honest person who doesn't give a "negative into a positive answer." EG: I'm too impatient about helping people.
This book is definitely worth picking up if you're interested in how big chains operate from the ground up. It paints an interesting picture of leadership at companies and their carrot on the stick to get employees to perform at maximum efficiency. If nothing else, you'll think twice before getting that extra car rental coverage.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment