Walking In Wuhan

China down. California to go.

10/31/07

Larry King Live

I'm working at Barnes and Noble at the front cash register, minding my own business. It'd been a busy couple of days because of Jessica Seinfeld's -- Jerry's wife -- new cookbook "Deceptively Delicious." We couldn't keep it in the store and had been sold out. I notice somebody I thought I recognized out of the corner of my eye. The old guy in the black leather jacket shuffles over and approaches the counter. He's not wearing glasses or hunched over a desk, but it's definitely Larry King standing in front of me.

LK: Hi, (pauses to look at name tag) Michael. I'm Larry King.
MB: Hi Larry, I'm Michael Bruntz ( I say this, unimpressed while extending my hand. He shakes it like one might shake the hand of the Queen of England.)
LK: I've traveled a long way to get this cookbook and I was told this is where you keep them. Do you have any you could give me.

I stare at him for a second, turn 180 degrees, then turn back.

MB: Yeah, we have a couple, but they're on reserve.
LK: You don't have any?
MB: Nope, sorry Larry.

He sighs like you'd expect a septuagenarian to wheeze and walks out of the store on his cell phone, obviously pissed.

1 comments:

Chaviva Gordon-Bennett said...

Whoa. Did you really want to take one of the reserved ones and then tell the person when they came in that you had to give Larry King their book?