Walking In Wuhan

China down. California to go.

Had an afternoon off today so Courtney, Annie and I headed to Hankou (a part of Wuhan across the Yangtze) that we don't make it to very often. A couple weeks ago, some of the other teachers found an amazing DVD store, so I checked it out today while Annie and Courtney shopped. Ninety minutes later, I walked out with my wallet 280 RMB lighter and clutching a goldmine of DVDs.

The Bounty, keeping in mind that $1 US = approximately 8 RMB
Three (3) concert DVDs (Oasis, Springsteen and U2), 9 RMB each.
Six (6) random DVDs, including Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and the Wedding Singer, 8 RMB each.
One (1) Keane double compact disc with 45 songs, 15RMB.
Seasons 1-4 Family Guy, 90 RMB
Seasons 1-17 The Simpsons, 90 RMB

But the best part of the whole experience wasn't the cheap DVDs, but the process to get them. Inside the store, you wander around a few minutes looking at classical and jazz CDs until one of the workers asks you if you're looking for DVDs. Then, they lead you through a back hallway, past a little sink area to a side door. The worker unlocks the door, flips on the lights and leads you into a room with thousands of DVDs in the middle on a table and all along the walls. Then the worker sits with you while you make your choices. Shady? Maybe a little, but well worth it.

I'm just happy I talked myself out of buying every episode of Doogie Howser MD.

--MB

0 comments: